Monday, February 1, 2016

Race is still a thing..


Photography by Fayette Aeon
Mostly recently I have seen a post or two, through Second Life about race. A post through JuicyBomb, from Aemy Says. It is really worth checking out and giving it a thought. I believe it points out different areas we need to look at when it comes to skin colors and views.

I also, fairly recently saw videos about children looking at race. Most of the time it is between a white doll and a black doll. In another case, it was the same clip art photo of a child with different skin tones.

The original test was conducted in the 1940's by Doctors Kenneth and Mamie Clark. (More here at naacpldf.org)  In these videos the child points to fairer skin for all the positive traits, while pointing to the darker skinned children/dolls for the less desired traits, even if it was their own skin tone. It makes me quite sad. The video below was covered by CNN, 6 years ago.



I decided to see what would happen if I asked my own child the same questions. It is not a study or anything, just wanted to know how he would react. I plopped him up on my desk after finding a random photo through google with people of different skin colors. I did not tell him what I was doing. I just hit record on my phone and asked him questions.


What are your thoughts!?

Hair: Truth -tyr
Mesh Head/Skin: Logo - Chloe {Amber}
Eyes: Whatever - Limited Eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment